Using "fusion" style on OsX by default

Utkarsh Ayachit
Folks,

I wanted to see what people thought about using the "fusion" style (same in Linux) on OsX instead of the current OsX style used by Qt. Attached are screenshots compare the two styles on a Mac.

As you can see, "fusion" is more compact with more well aligned widgets. The Properties panel on both has been resized horizontally so that it is as minimum size possible before a horizontal scrollbar shows up. Note how wide it has to be with macOS style as against Fusion.

Utkarsh

Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 8.37.08 AM.png (1M) Download Attachment
EditGridAxesDialog.png (704K) Download Attachment
SettingsDialog.png (1M) Download Attachment

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Using "fusion" style on OsX by default

Scott, W Alan

Assuming fusion is on the right side, I also like that better.  What is important is that the fonts aren’t decreasing in size.  Ditto the icons.  We are just tightening up empty space.

My $0.02

Alan

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Using "fusion" style on OsX by default

Moreland, Kenneth

I agree that I like the fusion style better for the same reason as Alan. In fact, I remember complaining several years ago about how much space was introduced into the GUI during some library update or another.

My only reservation is that the tighter style might be more off-putting to new users (exaggerates the airplane-cockpit syndrome). However, the current GUI for the Windows executable looks just as tight, and that does not seem to be an issue. (According to download counts, windows users outnumber Mac and Linux by a large margin.)

-Ken

Assuming fusion is on the right side, I also like that better.  What is important is that the fonts aren’t decreasing in size.  Ditto the icons.  We are just tightening up empty space.

My $0.02

Alan

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Using "fusion" style on OsX by default

Utkarsh Ayachit
Cool. Let's sleep on it for a day or two and if no new objections
surface, we can choose to make the change. We can of course have an
option to change it back in Settings too, but feel it might be an
overkill since who'd actually change it.

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 1:14 PM, Moreland, Kenneth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree that I like the fusion style better for the same reason as Alan. In
> fact, I remember complaining several years ago about how much space was
> introduced into the GUI during some library update or another.
>

> My only reservation is that the tighter style might be more off-putting to
> new users (exaggerates the airplane-cockpit syndrome). However, the current
> GUI for the Windows executable looks just as tight, and that does not seem
> to be an issue. (According to download counts, windows users outnumber Mac
> and Linux by a large margin.)
>

> -Ken

Yeah, I don't think we need another option for changing this.

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 1:42 PM, Utkarsh Ayachit <[hidden email]> wrote:
Cool. Let's sleep on it for a day or two and if no new objections
surface, we can choose to make the change. We can of course have an
option to change it back in Settings too, but feel it might be an
overkill since who'd actually change it.

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 1:14 PM, Moreland, Kenneth <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I agree that I like the fusion style better for the same reason as Alan. In
> fact, I remember complaining several years ago about how much space was
> introduced into the GUI during some library update or another.
>

> My only reservation is that the tighter style might be more off-putting to
> new users (exaggerates the airplane-cockpit syndrome). However, the current
> GUI for the Windows executable looks just as tight, and that does not seem
> to be an issue. (According to download counts, windows users outnumber Mac
> and Linux by a large margin.)
>

> -Ken

Aron Helser
I'd like to bring up that this change is going against current design trends - i.e. towards 'flat' designs, with cleaner, less cluttered UI elements.

It's why things take up more space. Utkarsh, I'd encourage you to run those screenshots by our website designer, and see what reaction you get.

What I see - switching to the older buttons with drop shadows that mimic a 'physical' button makes the UI look it's age.

That being said, as a engineer I really don't mind what it looks like as long as I can get it to do what I want, so I can see why you are interested in the change.

Regards,
Aron

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 1:44 PM, Andy Bauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yeah, I don't think we need another option for changing this.

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 1:42 PM, Utkarsh Ayachit <[hidden email]> wrote:
Cool. Let's sleep on it for a day or two and if no new objections
surface, we can choose to make the change. We can of course have an
option to change it back in Settings too, but feel it might be an
overkill since who'd actually change it.

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 1:14 PM, Moreland, Kenneth <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I agree that I like the fusion style better for the same reason as Alan. In
> fact, I remember complaining several years ago about how much space was
> introduced into the GUI during some library update or another.
>

> My only reservation is that the tighter style might be more off-putting to
> new users (exaggerates the airplane-cockpit syndrome). However, the current
> GUI for the Windows executable looks just as tight, and that does not seem
> to be an issue. (According to download counts, windows users outnumber Mac
> and Linux by a large margin.)
>

> -Ken

Cory Quammen-2
With regards to layout and spacing, that could be tightened up in the
current style with Mac-specific margins in the proxy property widget,
no?

With regards to the overall aesthetic, it looks like I am in the
minority, but I don't like the Fusion style on Mac. I love it on
Linux, but not on a Mac.

There was a time in the past when Apple strived to have a uniform look
and feel across applications, and while that hasn't been the case even
for Apple applications for quite a few years, I still like the idea.
The Mac style in Qt has never been a perfect match for native macOS
applications, but it is a reasonable facsimile in a lot of ways.
Switching to Fusion completely abandons attempts to fit in with other
macOS applications. So partly for nostalgia reasons, partly for a bias
for consistency in the (Mac) universe, and partly for wanting to avoid
startling new users a bit less with a different style, I prefer the
current style.

I think we should consult with the ParaView users mailing list to get
more user feedback, not just developer feedback.

Thanks,
Cory

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 2:12 PM, Aron Helser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd like to bring up that this change is going against current design trends
> - i.e. towards 'flat' designs, with cleaner, less cluttered UI elements.
>
> It's why things take up more space. Utkarsh, I'd encourage you to run those
> screenshots by our website designer, and see what reaction you get.
>
> What I see - switching to the older buttons with drop shadows that mimic a
> 'physical' button makes the UI look it's age.
>
> That being said, as a engineer I really don't mind what it looks like as
> long as I can get it to do what I want, so I can see why you are interested
> in the change.
>
> Regards,
> Aron
>
> On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 1:44 PM, Andy Bauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, I don't think we need another option for changing this.
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 1:42 PM, Utkarsh Ayachit
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Cool. Let's sleep on it for a day or two and if no new objections
>>> surface, we can choose to make the change. We can of course have an
>>> option to change it back in Settings too, but feel it might be an
>>> overkill since who'd actually change it.

Cory Quammen
Staff R&D Engineer
Kitware, Inc.

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Using "fusion" style on OsX by default

Marcus D. Hanwell
Not really a Mac person, but I prefer the Mac style and would tighten
up the borders which Qt seemed to make overly large in Qt 5 (they were
never as bad in 4). The buttons look dated to me, and I prefer the
flatter style. The modern KDE plasma desktop on Linux has moved away
from the Fusion type style too I think, and it isn't even what I am
used to on Linux.

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 2:39 PM, Cory Quammen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> With regards to layout and spacing, that could be tightened up in the
> current style with Mac-specific margins in the proxy property widget,
> no?
>
> With regards to the overall aesthetic, it looks like I am in the
> minority, but I don't like the Fusion style on Mac. I love it on
> Linux, but not on a Mac.
>
> There was a time in the past when Apple strived to have a uniform look
> and feel across applications, and while that hasn't been the case even
> for Apple applications for quite a few years, I still like the idea.
> The Mac style in Qt has never been a perfect match for native macOS
> applications, but it is a reasonable facsimile in a lot of ways.
> Switching to Fusion completely abandons attempts to fit in with other
> macOS applications. So partly for nostalgia reasons, partly for a bias
> for consistency in the (Mac) universe, and partly for wanting to avoid
> startling new users a bit less with a different style, I prefer the
> current style.
>
> I think we should consult with the ParaView users mailing list to get
> more user feedback, not just developer feedback.
>
> Thanks,
> Cory
>

> On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 2:12 PM, Aron Helser <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'd like to bring up that this change is going against current design trends
>> - i.e. towards 'flat' designs, with cleaner, less cluttered UI elements.
>>
>> It's why things take up more space. Utkarsh, I'd encourage you to run those
>> screenshots by our website designer, and see what reaction you get.
>>
>> What I see - switching to the older buttons with drop shadows that mimic a
>> 'physical' button makes the UI look it's age.
>>
>> That being said, as a engineer I really don't mind what it looks like as
>> long as I can get it to do what I want, so I can see why you are interested
>> in the change.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Aron
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 1:44 PM, Andy Bauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yeah, I don't think we need another option for changing this.

I think  I am going to defer to people who use ParaView on Mac (looking at you, Cory :) ) to investigate ways of making the UI look cleaner. Some of my misgivings with Qt-macOS style are:

1. too much padding (look at the vertical gap here)

Inline image 1   v/s  Inline image 2

2. misaligned buttons (just look at the padding around buttons like "X Normal, Camera Normal"

Inline image 3   v/s Inline image 4

Maybe there are things we can do that are less dramatic than changing the default style to clean these up.

> I think we should consult with the ParaView users mailing list to get
> more user feedback, not just developer feedback.

I think we should not do this too soon. It's the whole bike-shed thing -- everyone will have an opinion on this; we need to make sure we don't open a can of worms that we cannot close :).

Utkarsh

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Using "fusion" style on OsX by default

Chiranjib Sur
My few cents (replied inlined)

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 2:24 AM, Utkarsh Ayachit <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think  I am going to defer to people who use ParaView on Mac (looking at you, Cory :) ) to investigate ways of making the UI look cleaner. Some of my misgivings with Qt-macOS style are:

1. too much padding (look at the vertical gap here)

Inline image 1   v/s  Inline image 2

The "lesser" vertical padding is welcome from a user's perspective if they belong to the same group of data. In this example, the "search box" and the "Property panel" are not grouped together in any sense. In this case, "larger vertical padding" is more user friendly (and also as per the usability standards)

2. misaligned buttons (just look at the padding around buttons like "X Normal, Camera Normal"

Inline image 3   v/s Inline image 4

The vertical alignment of the texts and the buttons are not proper. The right hand side snapshot (Fusion type) is therefore aesthetically pleasing and follows the standard usability guideline.

Maybe there are things we can do that are less dramatic than changing the default style to clean these up.

> I think we should consult with the ParaView users mailing list to get
> more user feedback, not just developer feedback.

I think we should not do this too soon. It's the whole bike-shed thing -- everyone will have an opinion on this; we need to make sure we don't open a can of worms that we cannot close :).

Utkarsh

In general the icons used in PV are 3D type with shades. The buttons in fusion type also has the 3D effect. Therefore, in my opinion, they goes better with the icon styles.

I vote for fusion type GUI for Mac.

Thanks,
Chiranjib

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Using "fusion" style on OsX by default

Utkarsh Ayachit
Thanks for your input, Chiranjib. I think the plan is to try to see if some of the alignment issues can be addressed in macOS style itself.