Surface LIC

Scott, W Alan

I asked before, but can’t remember.  Why isn’t the surface LIC plugin enabled by default?

Thanks,

Alan

W. Alan Scott

ParaView Support Manager

SAIC

Sandia National Laboratories, MS 0822

Org 9326 - Building 880 A1-K

(505) 284-0932   FAX (505) 284-5619

The most exciting phrase to hear in science

is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..."  -- Isaac Asimov

Re: Surface LIC

Utkarsh Ayachit
The plugin is enabled by default. Do you mean why is it a plugin at
all? That was because when it was added, it only worked on modern
GPUs. We should reevaluate that. I suspect we are now in a world where
the GPUs are modern enough in general.

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 6:58 PM, Scott, W Alan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I asked before, but can’t remember.  Why isn’t the surface LIC plugin
> enabled by default?
>

> Thanks,
>

> Alan

> W. Alan Scott
>
> ParaView Support Manager
>

> SAIC
>
> Sandia National Laboratories, MS 0822
>
> Org 9326 - Building 880 A1-K
>
> (505) 284-0932   FAX (505) 284-5619
>

> The most exciting phrase to hear in science
>
> is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..."  -- Isaac Asimov

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Surface LIC

Scott, W Alan
The SurfaceLIC is not loaded by default in the plugin manager, on either my Windows computer or Linux box.  What am I missing?

junkScreenshot1.JPG (97K) Download Attachment

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Surface LIC

Utkarsh Ayachit
You mean "loaded", and not "enabled" :). It's enabled by default, but
not loaded. If you think the plugin should be loaded by default, it's
worthwhile thinking if it should even be a plugin and instead be
incorporated into the standard application.

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 12:03 PM, Scott, W Alan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The SurfaceLIC is not loaded by default in the plugin manager, on either my Windows computer or Linux box.  What am I missing?

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Surface LIC

Scott, W Alan
Ah, makes sense.  OK, why don't we load it by default, whether as a built in functionality, or a plugin?  My concern is that users will never load that plugin, thus a really neat functionality is never discovered.

Alan

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Surface LIC

Utkarsh Ayachit
As I mention earlier in this thread, originally (~6-7 years ago, when
we added the plugin),  that was because it only worked on modern GPUs.